Monday, March 2, 2009

Guess where I went again?

Yes, I went to Japan again about 10 days after that one-nighter in Osaka. I ended up in economy class this time and I have to say the food was rancid. I took a picture of it, but I don't think it's worth posting. Here's a picture of something unheard of here in Canada. When I was little, we used to get milk delivered, but to get beer delivered to your door?? That's awesome.

I went to a kaiten sushi place and I have to tell you that it was pretty damn good for kaiten sushi. The toro was nice and fatty, very fresh and I'm getting hungry just looking at these pictures....time for lunch.

Here's something I ran into quite a bit in Japan but never here. Occasionally, I request the chef here to do it. It's basically salmon nigiri sushi with a blob of kewpie mayo, and shredded onions. It's magic and if you can, you should try it.
There wasn't a lot of uni, but it was damn fresh, and worth paying the gold-plate price.
Here's a shot of the local unagi, which was also very good.
I usually prefer eating toro fresh, but gave the grilled one a try and it was ok, but I tasted more propane than toro.

The best ramen I have ever eaten is in Nakanoshima (now Nagaoka, Niigata-ken). It's called Jun Ramen and I have never tasted anything to be even considered equal. Sorry I don't have a good shot of the shop exterior. As far as I know, there are only two locations. I seriously considered working there to learn their secrets and open up shop here in Vancouver.


I always order the same thing. Miso chashu ramen with extra fat in the broth. It is from heaven, made by God's own hands. It most certainly will clog your arteries, but when you die, you'll say it was all worth it. The combination of broth that is brewed from magical ingredients, the ring of fat around the chashu, extra thick noodles, all that extra fat floating in the broth, which is just salty enough to make you appreciate an ice cold glass of water is all enough to satisfy you until your next craving of this wholesome goodness. On one of my trips, I went there nearly ever night because I just simply can't get anything remotely close to this heart-stopping bowl of noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews