Friday, May 13, 2011

My Attempt at Fusili de State - Avacado Cream Sauce with Shrimp Pasta

Fusili de State is a dish I often get at one of my favourite pasta joints - Anton's.  It's a creamy avacado sauce topped with shrimp on fusili pasta, and although it will probably shorten your life expectancy, it's really, really good.  The menu states that it's not always available, but all the times I've ordered it, I've been happy.  My attempt didn't get it exactly right, it came out pretty close I think.  


I started off my crushing some garlic....why am I using this?  I have a huge jug of chopped garlic that I got at Costco and it's taking me forever to get through it.  But it's not crushed finely enough for me so I decided to do it this way.

The menu says they used an entire avacado per dish....I love avacados.  Make sure it's really ripe so that when you crush it, it basically turns to cream. 


This was actually the second time I made this, however the avacado I used for this picture wasn't as ripe as it should have been.  As a result, I ended up with a couple of chucks of avacado that didn't crush easily.


I found a recipe for avacado cream sauce that says use a 1/4 cup of butter.....okay!

I added onions to the recipe, even though I don't think Anton's uses any onions....just my personal thing.  Try it without first, and see if it's better.

So, once the butter's nice and melted and the crushed garlic is infused in the butter, pour in 1/2 cup of fresh creme, or whipping cream.  When it comes to a simmer, add your avacado.

It doesn't look so smooth in this picture because of the onions and because the avacado I used wasn't quite ripe enough, but if you do it right, you get a smooth, rich and creamy avacado sauce.

I used fusili just like Anton's but I suppose you could swap it out for just about any pasta.




I added in the shrimp afterwards because I didn't want to overcook the shrimp. 


I tasted it first without the shrimp, then again after, and the shrimp really changes the flavour of the dish.  I mean, it's pretty damn good without, but add some shrimp, and you really have an amazing dish.  Sprinkle some freshly grated parmesan cheese and you've got home-made Anton's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews