Friday, November 28, 2008

My brother the bachelor










Before my brother left home to teach English in Japan for a year, I had never known him to cook anything in his entire life. Maybe the odd peanut butter sandwich or can of soup, but that's about it.
When Jay and I stayed with him in his tiny apartment in Ishinomaki, my brother cooked for us regularly. To my surprise, he turned out to be a pretty good cook.
The first picture is of a creamy stew with vegetables and sausages. It was simple, but delicous when you drown your rice with it. The next one is some kind of mysterious meat product we got at the local grocery....possibly intestines which we mistook as chicken skin. Yes, you can get just chicken skin in Japan, and it's awesome. He also made mabo tofu, something my dad would regularly cook, and next was a plate of giant scallops, which were dirt cheap compared to the costs here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews