Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sushi King revisited

Haha, this is the month of revisits!  I really should get out there and try some new stuff....apologies to my readers (as if I have a huge following, lol!) for boring you to death with the same routine.  I'm pretty sure I mentioned it before, but Sushi King is one of our regular stops after practice on Friday nights.  I used to go with everyone religiously until Marpole Community Centre shifted the schedule to Wednesday nights.  But I hear classes will be back to Friday nights in the fall, so looks like I'll be going back more often!

I took my parents here a week ago and the maanger Cindy was soo good to us....it's nothing new, because she's always great, but this time, she knew my parents were with me, so she really made sure they were comfortable.  My parents left very happy with everything from the food to the service. 

The salad comes with artificial crab meat, but it still tasted great.  Throw in some avacados and mayo and you got yourself a California roll salad!  Their dressing is made in house and is perfect for any green salad.  I wish they sold it.
I ordered up some sashimi for my parents (I usually stick to the nigiri or maki sushi here) and they were quite happy with the freshness and portions. 



And instead of the regular miso soup, I got them something different.  The bowl was practically full of clams, each one was as tender as ever and it wasn't a fight to get the meat out.  I think it should be illegal to serve miso soup without clams in it, haha!
I also ordered a few of my usual favourites - spicy tuna roll (Yup, I'm still quite addicted to this creation that will probably never be found in Japan), toro, saba, unagi, hotate, ikura, and botan-ebi. 




It's hard to tell in the pic, but the botan-ebi comes with the head.  It doesn't usually because most people don't really appreciate the stuff inside ebi heads, but I make sure I ask, and it comes. 
My mom loves tempura, so we ordered an assortment of that as well.  Their tempura sauce isn't quite right, but it works.  It's more like sweetened tonkatsu sauce, but like I said, it ain't bad. 
I happened to really like broccoli tempura.  I don't eat enough greens and I know this isn't the best method of getting your daily does of veggies, but hey, it's better than nothing!

Sushi King is still the best bang for your buck.  I'm not sure about other locations, but the location on Granville has my loyalty because of the consistent excellent customer service (Thanks Cindy), the rest of the staff and the chef of course.  I look forward to September when we'll probably end up visiting every Friday!

2 comments:

  1. WAIT broccoli tempura. I just left a comment on Food for Buddha about broccoli tempura.

    I need to find some of this soon. I really like green bean tempura and enoki mushroom tempura too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah, broccoli tempura. Actually, I like the weird ones too. It's nice to get a chance from the typical ebi, yam, and kabocha tempura right? Even if it's slightly unconventional.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews