Sunday, April 18, 2010

Moxie's Classic Grill on Robson

I've only been there a few times, but it's not bad. It's competitors would be Cactus Club, Earl's, and Milestone's. They're pretty much all the same, but there are particular dishes I like from each place. Their margaritas are huge....or maybe this was a large size we ordered.
Chiva's Regal. I've never been much of a beer drinker....I have sake more than anything else, but in recent months, I've developed a taste for Scotch. I'm still a beginner though and don't really know the first thing about Scotch....I know I like Chiva's though!
The view is nice.
Yam fries....seems like every place does this now....must be that west-coast fusion concept.
I really like Moxie's Top Sirloin Steak Salad with Goat Cheese and it's pretty much the main reason I go there. It's served on a bed of greens, you get sliced sirloin steak, goat cheese, a balsamic vinaigrette (I think) and a loaf of banana bread. The banana bread seems out of place at first, but actually goes quite well with the salad.

As I said earlier, what brings me back to Moxie's is the Sirloin Steak Salad, but I needed something a bit more substantial this night, so a salad didn't cut it. As my friend likes to say "Vegetables - it's what food eats"
Now that doesn't look like blue rare to you does it? I asked my steak to be fat and bloody (blue rare) but it came medium-well. It was okay though because the seasoning was good, the side mashed potatoes and veg were good also. My overcooked steak at Moxie's would mark just the beginning of a string of steaks that would come overcooked over the next month or so.
Slow Roasted Ribs, not bad, definitely not as good as mine! The ribs were a bit on the stringy side.

Their white chocolate brownie Sunday is out of this world. I think it's baked fresh, or they're really good at re-heating. Comes with a scoop of ice cream, some whipped cream, and chocolate drizzle. I have friends that go to Moxie's just for the white chocolate brownie.

So, even though they overcooked my steak, I was still satisfied. Our server came and checked on us and saw that my steak was overcooked. She offered to take it back and have it done right, but I hate wasting food. The thought of the overcooked steak going into the garbage doesn't sit well with me. Besides, it tasted good, just overcooked. It didn't bother me that much as the server showed concern, so she got the manager to come out and make sure everything was ok. He even offered to cook a new steak himself, apologizing that the night chef was new and inexperienced. I reassured him that my steak was edible, so he comped our desert - that wicked white chocolate brownie. It's a hit and miss with Moxie's as far as meat is concerned. I just have to make sure that I'm not that hungry when I go there next time and have Top Sirloin Salad and the white chocolate brownie.

Moxie's Classic Grill (Robson) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews