Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tropika - Robson

The worst time to write a review is when you're hungry.  I took these pictures a while ago, but didn't bother doing the write up until now, and all I can think of is sitting in Tropika and stuffing my face.  I went there a while ago for a friend's birthday, so someone else did all the ordering.  The stuff pictured below....I have no idea what any of it is called.

So, what's a guy who knows nothing about Malay cuisine doing reviews on Malasian Restaurants?  Well, I suppose you could look at it from a complete beginner's point of view, and see that even the inexperienced can enjoy somethings they've never tried before.
Can I take a guess and say this is Roti Canai?  No, I better not.  All I know is that bread/pastry next to the bowl of curry is one of the fluffiest bread/pastry I've ever had.  It didn't absort the curry all that well, but that was okay, I just double-dipped until I had a satisfactory amount of curry on it and then stuffed my face.  The curry was thin, but rich at the same time.  Delicious.

This was the satay - my only complaint was we didn't order enough.  At a buck twenty a stick, you really can't go wrong.
Nasi Goreng - my first experience with this dish and I really liked it.  The dark color gives it the illusion that it maybe extremely salty, but not the case.  It was seasoned perfectly, and I have a thing for runny eggs on rice...perfect combo.
The Pineapple Fried Rice was good.  As you may have read I like my fried rice shiny.  If it's dried out, it's no good.  Shine comes from the oil though, so it's not particularly healthy, but it tastes way better.
Pad Thai - I'm not a big fan of bean sprouts, to me it's just a filler, but it went well with this dish and made it really refreshing.
Sliced Lemon Chicken.  This dish was alright, nothing spectacular - I could have made this at home.
I have no idea what this was called, but it was delicious....I can only imagine what it would have tasted like on coconut rice, but my friend devoured most of it and I probably would have had a heart attack.

The portions aren't ginormous or anything, but after sampling several different dishes, I found myself quite content.  Just about everything I had tasted good and left me wanting more.  The price was reasonable and the service was good.  Robson's a bit of a pain to find parking, let alone fight through traffic to get there, but once in a while, I'm in downtown and I definitely would like to go back sometime.

Tropika (Downtown) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews