Friday, August 20, 2010

Uncle Willy's

I know what you're thinking, what the hell is Uncle Willy's doing on this blog?  But you know what?  It's really not as nasty as you may think.  My earliest memories of Uncle Willy's was back in the 80's when they first opened.  All-you-can-eat was the in thing, before the Chinese-run Sushi restaurants got to it.  The fad kind of died off mid-90's and Uncle Willy's locations started to shut down, except this one - near Metrotown.
 
Sausages, fried chicken, roast beef with horse radish, macaroni salad, some kind of meat-sauced pasta, and cottage cheese.  You can assemble some of the world's wackietst combonations on a single plate.  Actually, the sausages are just your standard breakfast sausage, but the fried chicken isn't bad.  It's got a nice crispy, flavourful coating, and pretty juicy inside....really, quite on par with KFC.  The roast beef isn't bad either, if you can find a nice rare slice....most of the time, it's cooked completely through though.
Sausages, corn, macaroni salad, ham with horse radish, fried chicken, and cottage cheese.  The ham is actually pretty good too, usually still very moist. 
French Toast with loads of straberry sauce.

Fried Chicken, perogies, peas and corn.
Ice cream on top of rice pudding and choclate drizzle.
Ham, roast beef, macaroni salad (and some croutons thrown in there for good measure), sausages, and cottage cheese.


For $12.95 ($8.95 for lunch), you can stuff your face on a lot of half-decent food. And that really is the point of all-you-can eat isn't it?  We're not talking about a 5 star gourmet meal here, but where else can you get a variety of food like this for $12.95 (except maybe a hospital or school cafeteria) and go back for seconds and thirds (or even fourths for that matter).  The turn-around time for food is pretty quick, and is often refilled so it's all pretty fresh. 

If you and a bunch of buddies are hungry and looking for some really fast food (actually, instant food since it's a buffett), with lots of available seating, no reservations required, Uncle Willy's is a pretty good bang for your buck.  I don't recommend you take a date here, unless both of you are looking for something nostalgic from the 80's.

Uncle Willy's on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. I love love love their fried chicken. Please don't compare the pieces to KFC. KFC chicken is so scrawny there is barely any meat on the bones. Plus it's frozen chicken they fry up. Uncle Willy's is fresh chicken that's deep fried and it's nice big pieces. I hope they stick around for a long time it has nostalgia for me eating here. I was there last month and their pasta with meat sauce is actually decent. Their spinach pasta was good too, the pasta wasn't overcooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,

    I like their fried chicken too, haha. That's true about KFC's chicken, why is it so small? Church's Chicken is huge compared to KFC. But to me, it doesn't really matter, if I'm craving that kind of fast food, I don't have any loyalties. If I'm THAT desperate for food, I'll go to KFC, Church's, ot L.A. Chicken, wichever is closer.

    I too like their pasta. For a buffett, it's not too bad...the lasagna I like. Yeah, it's not al dente, but who cares at Uncle Willy's.

    The location at Lougheed and North Road used to serve Beef Ribs....too bad that one closed down.

    I haven't been to Uncle Willy's for a while now, but I hope they stick around. It's a bit of nostalgia for me too.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews