Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Beer Can Chicken

Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken, but sticking a beer can up a chicken’s but makes for good eating.  Young and Todd had this contraption where you have a pan, and the chicken sits on top of an upright rack with a beer can up it’s butt, and the theory is that as you cook the bird in the oven, the beer evaporates and keeps the chicken moist from the inside.  I was a bit sceptical at first, thinking how good could it possibly be?  But the chicken came out amazingly moist and tender, and pretty tasty, with only a little seasoning rubbed into the surface.

I know this picture looks weird, with the bacon sprouting out from the chicken’s neck, but it keeps the chicken from getting to burnt, cooks the bacon for the mashed potatoes, and also adds to the liquid gold at the bottom of the pan for gravy later.


I never made gravy before, but I remember the lesson from my buddy Jay, and it was pretty simple.  Start off with a bit of butter and flour, and you keep mixing it over a low heat to make the roux.  Then I poured in all that liquid gold from the chicken/bacon drippings....so unhealthy, but oh so good.



So, to make the mashed potatoes extra tasty, I not only added butter, but I threw in a bit of liquid gold in there when nobody was looking...I know, it’s a heart-attack special, but oh man did the mashed potatoes taste good.




Awesome cooking concept, I’ll have to try this again sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews