Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Keg - Yaletown

Whenever I visit a Keg location, I'm happier than a pig in $hit.  It has become one of my favourite places to dine of ALL TIME.  The Yaletown location was new for me, and it did not disappoint. 

Me, my pals Jay and Eric.  Eric originally wanted to go to this place called Cardero's but by the time I got downtown, he said he was craving steak.  The Keg Yaletown was right around the corner so we ended up here.

The place is just massive, with 4 storeys, tall ceilings.....just a massive establishment that you can't tell the size of from the outside.
Some pretty nice decor, the 5-tier fireplace was interesting.
The patio bar - completely exposed to the outside, closes at 11pm due to by-laws.  Would have been something else to be out there.
Pretty good view from the patio
The comp bread was fresh and tasty, but for once, I didn't gorge myself with it because I'd eaten right before going to The Keg
That's a my favourite drink - Chivas Regal, 12 yrs, enjoying the view of the fireplace.  That's Keg's idea of a single....the tumbler is practically full.
Prawn Cocktail, never ordered this before - was really good - like mini lobsters....
Lemon garlic butter to go with Eric's Lobster.
Eric ended up getting the Surf and Turf.  Now, I haven't had much luck in the past with lobster at The Keg, but it turns out that this one was made just right.  Eric reported that it was not only moist, it tasted quite good.  He had a sliver of prime rib and some garlic mash that was prepared to his liking as well.
Now, I say a sliver, but it was still a decent hunk of meat, especially after wolfing down a lobster tail and The Keg's famous garlic mashed potatos.
I of course had nothing else on my mind whenever I go to a Keg.  Keg Size Prime Rib, one of the best hunks of meat I have ever had, and it's nice to get consistency whenever I go.  I never have to worry if they will *uck it up or not.  It never fails that they would bring it to me exactly as I ask - FAT AND BLOODY! 

Apologies, the reason I'm dropping the F bombs is because recently, I shelled out quite a bit of hard-earned money at Seasons in The Park for a piece of meat that was overcooked, overpriced, and overseasoned. So many times, I've been to other places, and so many times I've been disappointed. From the entry level places like Kelsey's, to the mid-range places like Cactus Club, Milestone's, Joey's, Chop's, to the sort of high-end places like The Diplomat(Regina), and Seasons in the Park, and I've always found myself saying "I can get better at The Keg for cheaper".


As usual, my prime rib was perfect.  The spice rub was spot on, the fat/lean ratio was good and I was tempted to eat all the grisle, but my heart suggested that it would rather I didn't.  The lean parts melted in my mouth and as a result, I inhaled my Keg Size Prime rib.  It's funny, because before arriving at The Keg, I wasn't even the slightest bit hungry.  I think I might be ready to give that Keg Size Omega another try.  I have to raise my glass to The Keg because they know how to prepare a wicked prime rib.
Eric ordered some sort of Creme Brulee...it was absolutely tiny and no where near Keg Size.  But apparently it was good, and besides that, there was't much room after the main anyways.
Jay ended up ordering some cheesecake.  It tasted good, I think, but I was so full and in much discomfort, so I really can't tell you I enjoyed it.


Our server - Sara(h?) was absolutely incredible, very professional.  She made sure our drinks were full, but at the same time not pushy at all because she knew that I had to drive.  There was a chip in my glass and she promptly reported this to her manager , who in turn came out, apologized and comped my drink.  I wasn't even complaining, just wanted to let them know in case another customer might complain. 

We were there for four hours, just relaxing and chatting with a new friend that we made that night - Avtar.  He was a really interesting person to meet, with lots of great stories.  If you're reading this Avtar, hope you are doing well.  

 Sara kept coming back to make sure that we were okay, if we weren't having drinks, she would top up our water glasses.  At the end of the night, Sara gave me a tour of the restaurant from top to bottom.  Earlier during dinner, we had discussed that it was my first time to this particular location so she offered me a tour.  Turns out this probably the biggest Keg in the region.  The place was pretty impressive, 4 levels including the patio dining area, the main dining area on the second floor, the bar/lounge section on the main floor and a dining area in the basement for private functions.

The food was spectacular as usual, the prices are always reasonable, and tonight, the service was better than expected.  Would I go back?  In a heartbeat!  Thank you Sara for taking care of us this night!



Keg Steakhouse and Bar - Yaletown on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. LMAO you are funny...

    Yeah I only ever get steak at the Keg or Chop now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elaine,

    Haha, you agree with me right? I'm not usually one for brand loyalty, but to the best of my memory, The Keg has never disappointed me. The only time I feel let down is when they don't go out and provide me with a Lazy-boy recliner and a cigar after having a meal there.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever eaten at Hy's then?? SLIGHTLY more expensive but with a mesquite grill..it is. INCREDIBLE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous,

    I've heard of Hy's! It's on my wishlist of places to try, and I heard about the mesquite grill. Definitely sounds exciting!

    Peter

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews