Monday, March 7, 2011

Wasabi

Wasabi Sushi was kind of a disappointment but then again, I shouldn't have been surprised.  I've been to some of the finest sushi places in Japan and Vancouver so I guess I must have been spoiled, but for some reason, I had some hopes to maybe get a taste of something that reminded me of home.  Instead, I found a place that rivaled one of the worst places I've ever been to.

Not sure what that little comment on the right there is all about...
The miso soup tasted alright, so I thought we were off to a good start.  But then again, it was -30 and perhaps any hot soup would have tasted good.
I tasted some of the rolls and they were okay, a lot of rice compared to what I am used to, but they still tasted okay.

This is what let me down.  Well, let's take a steo back for a moment.  Here in Regina, SK, I found a few Japanese Restaurants, but when you find Korean food on the menu, the place is probably run by Koreans.  Nothing wrong with Korean food, I love Korean food.  So, I figured, ah, screw it, I'm going to wait till I get back to Vancouver to get my sushi fix.  I'm here in the prairies, the beef should be good, and Koreans know their beef.  I was actually excited to see Gahl Bee on the menu, so I ordered the Gahl Bee rice bowl.

When I got my order, the server said that the chef deboned it for me....which was clearly BS because the beef they used was not gahl bee.  It was more like shredded lean beef.....dry lean beef, and definitely not cut from the rib.  Besides that, it was overseasoned and wayyyyyyy to salty.  I thought I was being clever by ordering Korean food in a Korean-owned Japanese restaurant, but clearly I was wrong.  I should have stuck with the sushi.  There's this place called Little Japan and they had one of the worst teriyaki beef on rice I've ever had....watery and bland.  If I took these two places and mixed them together, it might almost balance out. 

WasaBi on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. If you ever find yourself in Regina again with a sushi craving, check out Mishi on Scarth St. For a sushi restaurant in Regina, it's damn tasty. And I have sampled some pretty good sushi in my travels to Vancouver so I can assure you it's comparable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,

    Thanks for the tip! I'm not sure when I'll be back in Regina, but if I ever am, I will remember your advice!

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proper spelling is Michi~ I as well recommend you go there as well~ I saw a few of your reviews for sushi next time you are in Regina, guess you just had bad luck...! Anybody who lives here knows it's the only place for decent sushi made by actual japanese people... =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous,

    OK, I will definitely try Michi next time I swing by Regina. There's a decent size Japanese population in Vancouver, and serveral Japanese owned and operated restaurants.

    Authenticity is a big thing here too. The first thing people usually ask about an Japanese restaurant here is "Are they really Japanese?" I try not to dwell on it too much and try to keep an open mind when I go to place I've never been to.

    Thanks for the tip, and thanks for reading!

    Peter

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews